Just a reminder that children cannot be dropped to school until 8.50am. The children are not insured to be on the school property before this time and on a more practical level, the teachers use this time to prepare for the day and we would really appreciate if you could respect this.
Parents, please find information and support that you may need to ensure your child makes the most of their time online and stays safe when interacting with others online. Also, it shows you how to set up parental control over your children's devices.
The Health and Safety Authority has developed resources to give farm safety messages to Primary students in 30 minutes. These are available at www.hsa.ie/education under Teacher Supports and Resources. These include a Farm Safety Presentation-primary: a set of seven PowerPoint slides, specifically developed for use in all Primary classes. Teachers can use them with their whiteboards or print off to photocopy. On the Farm videos showcase child safety on the farm from the child’s own perspective. In addition to this, the HSA's dedicated e-learning portal www.hsalearning.ie contains a short interactive course for Primary students called Keep Safe on the Farm (2 x 40 minute online lessons suitable for the whiteboard). A certificate can be downloaded for the class once complete.
We would like to welcome you back to school. A special welcome to the new families who have joined us here in Ballinacarriga National School. I would like to inform you of the following:
1. Drop off: Children can be dropped at school from 8.50am. The children are not insured or supervised before this time.
2. Collection: School finishes at 1.50pm (for infants) and 2.50pm (for 1st- 6th class). We urge you to collect your child / children on time and as soon as they are safely in the car, we ask that you vacate your spot to make room for someone else. Please collect your child / children from the school side of the road and escort them across the road. Please only park in the carpark opposite the school – not on the same side as you could obstruct the view of people crossing. Parking is limited so please park close to each other and always be mindful of small children.
3. If you ever wish to speak with a teacher regarding an issue, please make an appointment with the secretary on 023-8845944 or with the teacher.
4. Any monies that are brought to school must be in an envelope with the child’s name and what it is for on the front of the envelope. A receipt will be issued to you. Monies are to be given to the secretary. Please only bring money on the following days: Monday, Tuesday and Thursday.
5. Secretary times
6. A Bill for book rental, activities, hoodies, etc will be issued in due course.
7. Please ensure you bring in a written note following a child’s absence from school. This must be given to the class teacher.
8. Children can wear tracksuits on Thursdays until mid-term.
The following is a list of activities that we will be taking part in our first term:
1. Ger Wolfe started tin whistle lessons on Tuesday 3rd September. New tin whistles were given to the Junior Infants.
2. Tony Walsh will be taking the children for hurling training in the hall on Thursdays. The first week will be Thursday 26th September. Please drop the Junior and Senior Infants off at the hall from 9am on these mornings. Everyone else will walk up and down unless it’s raining. We will send a text on the day if we need lifts. If you are available, we would appreciate your help.
3. Lisa Kingston will take the children for Yoga in November and December.
The following are dates to remember:
• There will be a short information evening for parents of Junior Infants on Monday 16th September at 7pm followed by tea and coffee.
• The Parents Association will hold their AGM on Monday 16th September at 8pm. Your attendance would be greatly appreciated.
• There will be a meeting for the parents of the First Communion class on Monday 23rd September at 7pm in the sacristy. It is very important that a member of the family attends.
• The school will close on Tuesday 3rd December to facilitate in-service training for the teachers.
There will be an outdoor mass to celebrate 200 years of Ballinacarriga church on Sunday 22nd September at 2.30pm at Randal Óg castle (weather permitting). We would appreciate if the children would attend for choir on the day. More information to follow closer to the time but please keep the date free if possible!
During this school year we plan to make some improvements to the Infant classroom. A home corner and a messy play area are among the changes you will see. We will also be refreshing the paint, changing the noticeboards and updating the toys. Before we make our shopping list we would like to ask the community if anyone has the following items they would like to donate.
• a good quality wooden dolls house
• farm sheds and/or machinery
• duplo lego, especially base boards and figures
• wooden train set
• dolls clothes
If you know of anyone who has children that may have outgrown these toys, please pass on the school phone number and ask to speak to Ms. Kelly.
There will be an enrolment mass for the Communion class on Sunday 13th October at 9.30am in Ballinacarriga Church. We would greatly appreciate if the children could attend for choir on the morning in the Gallery. No uniform needed.
There will be a no-uniform day on Friday 18th October in aid of Mercy University Hospital. Funds raised will allow children with cancer to receive treatment from the comfort of their own home. A donation box will be available on the day if you would like to donate.
We will be taking a field trip to Manch Woods for Science and Geography to study autumn, mini-beasts, plants and trees, a pond dip and orienteering. The cost of this trip is €11.00 and will be included on the annual bills.
Juniors and Seniors, 1st and 2nd class will go on Wednesday 23rd October from 9.30am-1.30pm. Please drop children to Manch woods on that morning at 9.10am and a bus will bring them back to school.
3rd-6th class will go Friday 25th October from 9.30am-1.30pm. Please drop children directly to Manch woods on that morning at 9.10am and a bus will bring them back to school.
We will send information about what will be needed closer to the time.
Mid-term holidays will commence on Friday 25th at 2.50pm.